Statistics on smartphone ownership are also interesting, and support the above chart:
- Global smartphone ownership nearly doubled in one year from 19% in 2010 to 35% in 2011 (RED C, 2012).
- Smartphone ownership in Ireland increased from 35% to 49% and tablet ownership doubled—8% to 16%—from March 2011 to November 2011 (RED C, 2012).
- The proportion of people using smartphones increased from 39% to 50% over six months (eircom, 2013).
- Tablet ownership doubled during the same six months (eircom, 2013).
- Smartphone penetration reached a record 59% of the Irish mobile subscriber market in the second quarter of this year, according to telecoms regulator Comreg.
This represented a 14.7 per cent jump on the previous quarter and reflects the huge surge in smartphone use here and elsewhere.
- In 2014, 59% of all mobile voice subscriptions were smartphones (ComReg*).
- Mobile voice subscriptions for smartphones increased by 14.7% over 12 months (ComReg*).
*Note: Links to a .PDF file.
Want to “Go Responsive” and get your site mobile friendly and future-proofed? Talk to us today on 016853851 or pop an email to email@example.com and we can talk you through the process.